Given that the school baseball season is over, let us have a look at an earlier projection for the top five for the 2009 NFL Draft. (Note: this article was written prior to the due date for underclassmen to declare for draft and it is according to forecasts of which juniors and qualified sophomores will declare.)
1. Detroit Lions – Matthew Stafford, Quarterback, Georgia: From everything I’m reading around NFL groups, Stafford is nearly a unanimous pick whilst the first quarterback from the board whether Sam Bradford declares or not. Stafford has the big arm and real resources to create all the punches within the NFL. He did not possess best season at Georgia, but scouts are blaming that mainly on deficiencies in talent around him. I’m somewhat worried about their persistence and accuracy, but Stafford appears to be the early preferred going first. The Lions will likely choose an indication caller right here simply because they need a face of the franchise and some guy that will get men and women in Detroit excited enough to buy NFL seats. Plus, they are able to follow an offensive tackle later on in the first round with the pick they obtained from Dallas in the Roy Williams trade.
2. St. Louis Rams – Andre Smith, Offensive Tackle, Alabama: Supposedly the Rams actually desired Jake longer in this past year’s draft, nevertheless the Michigan tackle went number one general toward Dolphins. After a difficult period the Rams end up choosing at number two once more, and also this time they get their franchise tackle in Smith. He’s got the prototypical dimensions become a dominant unpleasant lineman in league.
3. Kansas City Chiefs – Sam Bradford. Quarterback, Oklahoma: New team President of Football Operations Scott Pioli may be looking to place his stamp regarding the team, and then he’ll do so with a recognizable title. Bradford doesn’t always have a large arm, but he possesses the accuracy and mental method of the video game that make permanently NFL people. He will need make the change from Oklahoma’s shotgun-heavy offense toward drop back-oriented nature regarding the NFL, but which shouldn’t be an excessive amount of an issue. I really believe he’ll be a better pro than Matthew Stafford.
4. Seattle Seahawks – Michael Crabtree, Wide Receiver, Tx Tech: This decision when it comes to Seahawks might be planning come-down to Crabtree and Wake woodland linebacker Aaron Curry. I believe Seattle can look to incorporate a playmaker to an offense it doesn’t genuinely have a casino game breaker.
Crabtree doesn’t have elite rate, but he’s got anything else, including a knack for making huge plays at huge moments (start to see the Texas online game this past period). The decision right here can come down to Crabtree’s 40 time, but I anticipate him to run somewhere in the 4.5 range, that ought to be sufficient.
5. Cleveland Browns – Malcolm Jenkins, Cornerback, Ohio State: The Browns need lots of help on security. Jenkins is an area product and it has the possibility to produce into several one corner. He is the very best corner in this draft and brings some assist in the return game.